The following recipe is for my 60 lb. dog. If your pet won’t eat all of the vegetables listed here you could just include the ones that they like. Here is a written version of the way I prepare my dog Bodhi’s food.
It is quite involved and does take some time to prepare every four days but as we saw by his lab results, it is worth it! I am also giving him the PAAWS vitamins (AM and PM) as well as the NAC supplement (1 twice a day as recommended).
Feel free to make any modifications or changes and share with your clients as needed. It is my hope that if people really want their pets to get better that they will be willing to take the time to prepare healthy meals for them this way.
I am so excited that Bodhi’s labs are improving with this diet! Thank you for all of your expertise, as always! Sincerely, Sheila B
Liver Detox Diet
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 bunch broccoli or package of frozen
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 head cauliflower or package of frozen
- 2 whole rutabagas
- 4 whole turnips small
- 1 bunch kale
- 1.5 lbs white fish any white fish except for tilapia
- 6 whole eggs soft boiled
- 4 cans sardines
- 2 cans tuna fish or herring (or 4 small ones)
- 1 dash amino acids Braggs Amino Acids splashed on top for flavor
- Chop the cabbage, broccoli, kale and brussels sprouts (or shave in a food processor) and add to one very large (or two smaller) pot.
- Peel and chop the rutabagas and turnips and add to the pots.
- fill each pot with water covering the vegetables, add a lid to each pot and bring to a boil.
- Boil until all vegetables are tender
- Add white fish on top of the cooked vegetables and cook for five minutes or until cooked through
- Remove lids and let the vegetables and fish cool.
- While vegetables are cooling, soft boil the eggs (an egg cooker saves time)
- When the eggs are cool, peel and chop them and set aside
- After the fish and vegetables are cool, drain completely and put them into containers. (This recipe will fill four large Ziploc rectangular containers. Each container will hold two meals when completely full.)
- Chop the boiled eggs and add 1.5 eggs to the vegetables in each container
- Open the sardine cans and place one full can of sardines into each of the four containers.
- Open the tuna or herring cans and empty one can into each of the four containers.
- Sprinkle the contents of each container with the Braggs Aminos
- Stir the contents of each container, secure the lids and refrigerate until feeding time
- At mealtime, measure 5 cups of food (½ of a container) and heat in the microwave until warm but not hot. **Do not heat the food in plastic. A 4-cup glass measuring cup is perfect to transfer the food into (just fill to the top to make 5 cups) and heat in the microwave. Transfer the food to your dog’s food bowl and serve.
- PAAWS Dog Vitamins
- Liver Essentials
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) 600 MG (1 twice/day)
- Distilled water
- Infrared Lamp – 10 minutes – twice a day